Saturday, January 17, 2009

“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.”

– Martin Luther King Jr.


It is one thing to be passionate about social justice and global issues, to read vigorously about many ideas and think you want to change the world.... a whole other idea to actually move to make a difference. While I am completing a university degree that will give me skills to work in the international development sector, I also need to be consistent about speaking out and acting on the issues that I consider important.
Do I actively tell people about the injustices I know about? Do I critique, analyse and make judgments consistently about what I see, learn and read? Does my lifestyle reflect what I believe about justice, simplicity and the environment? Am I so moved and passionate that I can’t help but be vocal to all I meet about the things that matter? Unfortunately, most of the time the answer is no. Why is that? And why do I find it so hard to be vocal about my faith, when God has made such a difference in my life and the hope I have could change so many lives?
I find it easy to condemn others ignorance and apathy, but the reality is that I am often just as apathetic. In fact, if I have knowledge am I not more responsible to act than those that do not know? My life is so comfortable, I am so blessed, that it is hard to get up and move beyond my comfort.
But I must.
One of my goals for this new year is that I move more and make more noise about the things that matter. I want to live up to the old African proverb that says, ‘when you pray, move your feet.’ I want to do this because I see injustices. I want to do this because there is hope. I want to do this not out of guilt, but because I know I’m blessed. I am grateful for all I have but I want the gratefulness to move me.
So this year I will commit to asking the hard questions of myself and those around me. I will commit to challenging my apathy and lack of passion.
I will commit to doing something!

No comments: