Sunday, June 24, 2012

I Spy Beauty

A weekly post of beauty seen, heard or discovered

Despite the very large CD collection courtesy of years working in the Christian retail industry, I’ve become pretty cynical about 'Christian' music (whatever that is!). Cookie-cutter praise and worship, uncreative music that lacks, well, actual musicality and unimaginative lyrics are unfortunately too common- but it talks about Jesus, so it’s ok, right?!

But I stumbled on some unexpected beauty this week:

Gungor.





I was bumbling around youtube and came across these stunning performances. I was all at once intrigued by the combination of instruments, the harmonies, the lyrics. And as I watched I was blown away by the talent of these musicians who were, all the while, singing about faith and life and even Jesus! I mean where else in 'Christian' music is there a beat boxing cello player?! And I don't even know what kind of instrument the lady was playing.

These two clips fed my soul this week. They reminded of the beauty of our hope, and that our message is beautiful- even in the hard places and dry bones. And they may have started to restore my faith in artists who earnestly seek faith and art and beauty in equal measure.

No comments: