Tuesday, May 31, 2011

#2 Treasures of darkness

“I will give you the treasures of darkness, riches stored in secret places, so that you may know that I am the LORD, the God of Israel, who summons you by name.” Isaiah 45:3

this passage from Isaiah has sustained me in some of the darkest moments of my life. I'll never forget the first time I read it... it was like it was written for me in that exact moment.

I was experiencing a seemingly never-ending darkness - depression - which I could not make sense of. It seemed that no matter how hard I worked at my mental health, and no matter how hard I trusted and prayed, it appeared pointless. And yet, as I read the above words, I heard the promise of redemption, of some kind of fulfillment... and there was hope. I realised that it was in the very place of darkness and incomprehensible pain that the truth would be revealed.

I have caught glimpses of the promise since. I have known the beauty of hope and the refreshment of light. I have seen the fruits of my time of darkness and I have been grateful.

But the darkness creeps back in. And I am struggling to find the treasure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Makes me think of 'The Alchemist' by Paulo Coehlo. A journey home to the heart...
Simon